Nexus FAQ's

• ***TABLE OF CONTENTS***
    General -
    What is mining?
    What do I need in order to mine NXS?
    What is the difference between the Prime(CPU) Channel, Hash(GPU) Channel, and the nPOS(Staking) Channel?
    What is the difference between solo mining and pool mining?
    This all sounds great! How do I begin mining?
    How is block difficulty determined and why does it keep changing?

Wallets -
    I see an LLD wallet and an Oracle wallet download option. What is the difference and which should I choose?
    I have been using the LLD wallet and I have decided I want to start staking. How can I switch to Oracle wallet?

CPU Mining -
    Where can I get the CPU miner?
    There are several .exe files. Which one am I supposed to use?
    How do I configure the miner.conf file and what do all the options mean?
    What EXACTLY is the miner doing?

GPU Mining -
    What kind of graphics card do I need to GPU mine?
    Is there a Hash(GPU) channel mining pool?

nPOS MINING(AKA STAKING) -
    How does staking work?
    Okay, so how do I actually stake coins?

Troubleshooting -
    When trying to solo mine, I keep getting an error saying I'm unable to connect. What is wrong?
    When trying to solo mine, I keep getting an error saying it failed to update block height. What is wrong?

***GENERAL***

What is mining?
    Mining is the means by which new coins are created. Whenever a block is mined, the person who mined it gets a certain amount of coins added to their wallet.

What do I need in order to mine NXS?
    To mine NXS you need a NXS address (this is created with the wallet. you cannot mine directly to exchange addresses), and a "miner" (this is a piece of software that does the mining). These can both be gotten easily on nexusearth.com.

What is the difference between the Prime(CPU) Channel, Hash(GPU) Channel, and the nPOS(Staking) Channel?
    Each channel has its own method of mining blocks and are separate from each other. The Prime(CPU) channel mines blocks by finding special prime numbers called "Dense Prime Clusters" that are EXTREMELY large (about 309 digits long). The Hash(GPU) channel mines blocks by trying to find a hash value that fits a certain requirement. These hash values are generated by running text through a "special formula". The result of this is a hash that is unpredictable and, therefore, the computer must try a HUGE amount of different text in order to find a result that fits the requirement. The nPOS(Staking) channel mines blocks by people being connected to the network and having coins in their wallet. It takes into consideration everyone on the network with coins and chooses one semi-randomly, while taking into consideration how many coins they have. More coins means higher % chance of mining the block.

What is the difference between solo mining and pool mining?
    Solo mining means you are mining directly to your own wallet. You are only rewarded when you solve the block and get the full block reward.
    Pool mining means you are mining to a pool that keeps track of how much processing power you're using to try and solve the block. You are rewarded any time ANYONE on the pool solves a block and are given a percentage of the block reward equal to how much percent of the total processing power came from your computer(s).

This all sounds great! How do I begin?
    To begin mining, download the NXS wallet and miner from nexusearth.com. Detailed instructions can be found in the appropriate sections of the forum.

How is block difficulty determined and why does it keep changing?
    Each channel has its own difficulty that is independent of each other. This means the difficulty of the Prime(CPU) channel has no impact on the Hash(GPU) channel and so forth. The difficulty for each is calculated by a formula meant to keep the average block time at a specific value. For the Prime and Hash channels the target value is 300 seconds each, and for the nPOS channel the target value is 60 seconds. The network uses the time of the last 5 blocks for the channel and averages them out. If it is longer than target block time, the difficulty is lowered. If it is shorter than target block time, the difficulty is raised.

***WALLETS***

I see an LLD wallet and an Oracle wallet download option. What is the difference and which should I choose?
    The LLD(2.2.2/2.2.3) wallet and the Oracle(2.0.5) wallet both operate basically the same. The main difference is the way it stores blockchain information. The LLD wallet uses a different type of database to store the information than the Oracle wallet.

IMPORTANT - The MAIN difference in function between the two is when it comes to staking (mining nPOS blocks). The Oracle wallet is better at doing this as there is a problem with staking in the LLD wallet. So if you plan to stake your coins, you should use the Oracle(2.0.5) wallet. If you have no plans to stake your coins, you should use the LLD(2.2.2/2.2.3) wallet as it is more efficient and loads the database much faster than the Oracle wallet does.

I have been using the LLD wallet and I have decided I want to start staking. How can I switch to Oracle wallet?
    Follow the guide located here

***CPU MINING***

Where can I get the CPU miner?
    For Windows, the files are located here.
    For Linux and Mac OS, the source code can be located on github here.
    (If you need help compiling for Linux or Mac OS, please ask for help in the support channel in the Nexus Team Slack located here.)

There are several .exe files. Which one am I supposed to use?
    To find the best .exe to use, you need to find out what Microarchitecture your CPU uses. To do this, go to cpu-world.com and use the search bar in the top right to look for your cpu. For instance, if your cpu is an Intel Core i5-3570K, you will search "i5-3570k". In the search results, click your processor and scroll down to where it shows "Microarchitecture". This is the .exe you should use. If your cpu's microarchitecture isn't an option, you can most likely use the default .exe safely, or you can ask in the Nexus Slack Support channel which one you should use and someone will investigate for you.

How do I configure the miner.conf file and what do all the options mean?
    Refer to the guide located here.

What EXACTLY is the miner doing?
    The CPU miner is attempting to find a special prime number. Essentially, it is looking for prime numbers that are VERY large (about 309 digits long) that are no more than 12 numbers apart from each other. These are called Dense Prime Clusters, and however many prime numbers there are in this cluster (also know as its chain length) determines its difficulty value. When a chain that meets the difficulty requirement of the block is found, the person who found it mines the block. Specifically, it is looking for the first prime number (initial prime) in the Dense Prime Cluster, AND is a HIGHER number than the block hash, which is generated semi-randomly based on previous block information. Also, the initial prime MUST be LESS THAN 2^64 higher than the given block hash. Since these are generated based on previous block information, there is no way to know ahead of time what number it must be greater or less than, so it must start looking all over again for each new block.

***GPU MINING***

What kind of graphics card do I need to GPU mine?
    Currently you need an AMD or NVIDIA graphics card with a "compute capability" of at least 5.0. You can find these by searching for the cards series info on wikipedia. You should find its compute capability listed there.

Is there a Hash(GPU) channel mining pool?
    Currently, there is not. The pools are only for Prime(CPU) channel mining.

***nPOS MINING(AKA STAKING)***

How does staking work?
    While your wallet is open and contains coins, eventually you will receive what is called a Genesis Block. This grants you a special address/key called a Trust Key. Once you receive this your wallet will (have a chance to) get Trust Blocks. These are the block rewards from staking and their amount is based on the amount of coins you stake. Since the moment you get your Genesis Block, your Block Weight value will start increasing towards 100%. Once it hits 100% (your block weight can be viewed by putting your cursor over the clock icon in the bottom right corner of the wallet) your Trust Key expires and your other values reset back to their defaults. This happens after 24 hours without successfully mining a Trust Block. At this point you must wait until you receive another Genesis Block and the process starts again.

Okay, so how do I actually stake coins?
    First, you'll want to be using the Oracle(2.0.5) wallet. (For explanation why, see the "I see an LLD wallet and an Oracle wallet download option. What is the difference and which should I choose?" FAQ under WALLETS section) Also, while it's POSSIBLE to stake with ANY amount of coins, the likelihood of getting a Genesis block is EXTREMELY small for coin amounts less than about 1000 NXS, so it is advised to have at LEAST that many in your wallet. Lastly, you want to keep your wallet open and running 24/7 (or as close to nonstop as possible). You can ONLY participate in staking if you wallet is running, but your Trust Key will still expire after 24 hours of not successfully mining a Trust Block whether it is open or not. By doing all of these things, you will start to see Genesis and Trust transactions in your wallet over time. You are now staking.

***TROUBLESHOOTING***

When trying to solo mine, I keep getting an error saying I'm unable to connect. What is wrong?
    To enable the wallet for solo mining, you must create a special file that turns it on. Instructions on how to do this are located here.

When trying to solo mine, I keep getting an error saying it failed to update block height. What is wrong?
    This is most commonly caused by 1 of 2 issues.

1. Your wallet database is not completely synced up with network. This can be seen by spinning arrows in the bottom right corner of the wallet. When your database is completely caught up and the icon turns into a green check mark, the error should go away. If your wallet isn't updating the database (it isn't downloading new block data and increasing the "Current Number of Blocks" shown in the Help>Debug screen) please follow the appropriate tutorial in the forum to resolve the issue.
    2. You have encrypted your wallet and it is locked. To fix this, in the wallet under Settings, select "Unlock Wallet". You will then put in your password you created when you encrypted the wallet. If you only want to mine, check the box unlocking for minting only. If you want to be able to send coins as well, leave that box unchecked. The error should be gone when you try to mine now.

***More Coming Soon***

Looks like your connection to NXSForum.com was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.